Israel

Israel
ISRAEL - I'm looking south along the western edge of the Dead Sea (Toward TZ, which is about 2500 miles due south of Israel).

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tanzania

Well, I'm here at last.  I actually arrived on the ground at some time around 1:30 am Tues local time (6:30 pm Mon, EST).  Jet lag has been very interesting because my flight lasted 31 hours, so I'm not really sure what time my body thinks it is...

I spent the morning getting "the tour" of the Shipe's house and playing with the kids.  We invented a new game called "Never-ending dodge-ball," which Ben (7 yrs old)  more theologically dubbed "Everlasting dodge-ball."  We spent a good amount of time in Arusha, getting a tire fixed, shopping for meat, and exchanging money.  Currently, the exchange rate is: 1 US Dollar = 1,589.53 Tanzanian Shillings.  A TZ shilling has such a small value ($0.0006291) that they don't even mint a unit of currency for it.  On the other hand, the largest unit of currency is the 10,000 shilling bill, but with an approximate value of $6.29, it takes a lot of those to buy anything big.  That can be good, though, because it makes 10,000 shillings a good, round asking price.  And $6.29 isn't a bad price for much of anything!  I forgot how much I like dickering prices with vendors . . . . Thank you, Dr. Kevin Oberlin, for teaching me everything I know in that arena.

Interesting cultural insight of the day: Aaron related that a veteran missionary in the area once told him, "Plan to do one thing a day.  If you get one thing done, you're doing well."  That missionary recently came to their house for dinner a tad late and jokingly said, "Sorry--I tried to do three things today...I knew better."  I remember being struck by the event-orientation (vs. time-orientation) in Asia as well when I was there in 2008.  Frankly, event-orientation isn't as "efficient," but I imagine there are fewer stress ulcers in TZ than back in the States.  Additionally, there's a lot more time for relationship-building conversations and time with the Lord as well.

Right now, I'm focusing on getting adjusted to the time-zone change and spending some time with the Shipes.  Alyssa wants about 1,547 rides/day and all of us are having a great time playing basketball, soccer, and everlasting dodge-ball.  I am posting a few pictures for you all to peruse on the Photos page.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment